Friday, February 18, 2011

The Great Closet Clean-Out

For some reason, I got a bug up my butt yesterday to clean out my closet.  I have a ton of clothes.  Some of the clothes in my closets are much too large, several years old, or I simply don't like them.  It wasn't until I started this project that I realized the ungodly amount of clothing I really had! 

While I was at the gym, I thought about cleaning out my closet the entire time I was on the Arc trainer.  I strategized in my head and made my plan of attack.  Because of the size of our condo, I have 2 smaller closets in our guest bedroom/office.  For last night's project, this was extremely helpful.  I didn't have to spread clothes all over our bedroom - I just made several piles in the guest bathroom and got down to business with cleaning out.

The images below may scare some, viewer discretion is advised ;-)




The pictures above are of my "work" closet and "everything else" closet.  I work in an environment that tends to be more on the business side of business casual.  Most days, I wear a suit or a jacket with pants.  The other closet holds everything else, including blouses, t-shirts, cardigans, dresses, etc.  I usually have a few things hanging on the back of our bedroom closet door and my jeans, shorts, and workout clothes are in bins on a shelf in the master bedroom closet. 

I looked at, touched, and/or tried on every single piece of clothing in my closet.  It was neat to remember when I got the item, if I wore it for a certain event, etc., but the things I didn't think I would wear or were too big had to go! 


(Left:  Pile for Charity to look through; Right: One of the piles for Goodwill)


(Work closet)

(Everything else closet)

After dinner, I bagged up the clothes going to Goodwill and the clothes that I set aside for Charity to see if she wanted.  Then, the rest of the work...  I changed out all the hangers in both closets.  The "work" closets clothing is on white plastic hangers and the "everything else" closet clothing is on slim Huggable Hangers that I ordered a few years ago off HSN.  While changing out hangers, the clothes were ordered in a ROYGBIV type of order.  I think that hanging similar colors together helps me put outfits together quicker.  Plus, I am anal like that ;-)

So, in one night, I went through 2 closets, resulting in:
  • 2 bags for Charity to go through
  • 6 bags for Goodwill
  • 4 suits, 3 jackets, 4 pants, and 5 blouses for Dress for Success
I feel great about all the work I did.  As I said before, I didn't realize the ungodly amount of clothing that I had in my closets.  While I cleaned out a lot, I definitely am not suffering for options.  Looking forward to finishing the rest of my project this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I loooove cleaning out my closet. I try to go through it twice a year to find donations. There's something really freeing about getting rid of the stuff that is too big, too ugly or too rarely used. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you took pictures of my closet. That's on my to do list for this weekend. Hopefully you have inspired me to actually check it off the list!

    ReplyDelete