Wednesday, February 13, 2013

{Review - Backyard Produce}

One of my goals this year is to reduce our grocery bill slightly, while also incorporating higher quality foods into our meals. At first, I thought I could depend solely on the Farmer's Market, but realized getting out there every week might be more "trouble" than it was worth. During the summer, I don't mind going out to the Farmer's Market during lunch, but going in the winter and perusing all the produce isn't my idea of a fun way to spend my lunch hour (it's too dang cold!).

I attended a Paleo Cooking Seminar at my box a few weeks ago. Raleigh CrossFit had arranged for Food Simply Fresh and Backyard Produce to provide information on recipes and their services in an effort to make our healthy eating choices easier and more accessible. As I listened to the presentation, I realized that Backyard Produce could help me achieve my goal.

(Source)
What's Backyard Produce? 
Backyard Produce is pretty much an online Farmer's Market. They offer (mostly) locally grown, farm fresh produce delivery to a large part of North Carolina, from Charlotte to the coast. The biggest difference between Backyard Produce and other vendors is that I have choices and it is year-round. Other vendors charge a fee and you get what you get, during summer months only.

So, how does it really work?
When signing up, you are asked to select the amount of produce you want delivered based on the needs of your family. Based on the type of basket you choose, you are allotted a certain number of points. Each week when the order page/"marketplace" opens online and you simply log-in and select the items you want. Your order must be placed by Saturday night and all then all you have to do is wait on your delivery.

Thoughts on my first order...
I placed our first order late last week, to be delivered yesterday. I selected the "Family of Four" basket because of the amount of produce we consume in a week. The staff at Backyard Produce assured me that if this was too much, I could email to downgrade.

Upon placing my order, I received a confirmation email, with an order number. My order was correct, but I assume that if there had been an error or if I needed to change it, I could have so long as I made the Saturday night deadline.

Our delivery arrived sometime yesterday while we were at work. Since we live in a condo, I asked that they leave the box in the foyer/mailroom area. I was pleasantly surprised to see it by our door when I got home - not sure if a neighbor let the delivery person in or if a neighbor brought it to our door... Either way, I was excited to open the box.

So, here's what we got for ~$45:
(1 bunch) NC Rainbow Chard; (2) Baby Broccoli/Broccolini; 
(1 lb.) Green Beans

(2 lbs.) NC Sweet Potatoes; (1-2 lb.) Butternut Squash; (1 lb.) Carrots; 
(6) Navel Oranges; (6) Apples (Fuji/Pink Lady/Granny Smith); (2) Limes

I was excited to get the box open last night. I was slightly disappointed with the broccoli. It was totally my fault - I thought I was ordering "regular" broccoli. But, as any foodie would do, I figured out a way to prepare the broccolini and we'll be having it for dinner tonight. 

All-in-all, this looks like it's going to be a good thing for us. We had the chard last night and I had an apple with my breakfast this morning. So far so good! Looking forward to seeing what's available next week!



1 comment:

  1. We have been using Papa Spud's for a few years and LOVE THEM. They also do eggs, meats, and dairy, also do year-round, and they do profiles on the local farmers. Love love love them. The flavor difference in the eggs is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete