Monday, June 3, 2013

{Starting from scratch...}

Well, kinda....

It's no secret that my running has suffered terribly since my surgery in November. During the winter it was entirely to cold and the cold breeze bothered my incisions. In the spring, my heart and soul just wasn't in it. Now, here I sit, 6 months after surgery, starting fresh.

This past Saturday, I went for a "test" run with the Raleigh Galloway group. I have been running for just under 3 years using Galloway-esque training methods, but hadn't ever run with the group. I know his run/walk/run method is the ticket for me because I've run 6 half marathons by run/walk/run.

Anyway... I've always been a little "Judgy McJudgerson" about the group because they are so huge! I wasn't sure that it was a good fit for me. Due to not being able to always coordinate schedules with my running buddies, I realized that the accountability and structure may be worth a shot.

We met at Capital RunWalk in Cameron Village around 6:45 a.m. I quickly found some of my NCRC Women's Beginner Running Program buddies and chatted for a bit. Suzanne and I ended up connecting with the 11:30 pace group for 6-mile run. The run went from Cameron Village, down Clark Avenue through Meredith College (loved running through my alma mater), and back.

I'm not going to rehash the entire run, but here's some highlights:

  • It's nice to have a large group, even though it seems a little impersonal at first.
  • The run felt awesome! Normally after a long run, I'm exhausted. After the run on Saturday, I helped my mother-in-law with her yard sale and subsequent clean up. The hubs and I also went out wtih some frinds. Not once did I wish for a nap!
  • I was able to stay toward the front of the 11:30 group the whole time. I may even try the 11:00 group next weekend.
So, here's to a great season with Galloway! (and maybe a full marathon in the future...)


1 comment: