Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A dose of reality

On August 28, I went for my first run with my group after returning from vacation.  I was excited to get back to running with the gals and continuing to improve.  During the run, something felt "funny" in my girly bits (yes, that's the diplomatic way for me to say groin).  I kept pushing through thinking it would be ok.  I finished my run and went home.  Later in the afternoon, I thought I was going to die.  The pain between my legs was killing me and I really couldn't lift my right leg much more than an inch off the ground.  I continued through the weekend with my three best friends:  Advil, ice, and a heating pad.

The next Monday, I went to see my chiropractor before my appointment with my trainer.  We talked about what happened, etc. and mapped out a plan to get me back to running.  Dr. Evan worked on the different muscles around the pain for nearly a month (a month that I wasn't allowed to run - I had to use the boring elliptical). 

On Wednesday, September 22, he released me to start running again.  He gave me a series of stretches to do before my run and after.  That evening, I went for my first run and did ok.  I went a total of 2.25 miles/1.57 running, at an average pace of 15:23.  Big problem noticed around mile 1.4 - the pain was back.  Although it wasn't nearly as bad as before, it was obviously still there. 

I ran my first 5K on Saturday.  I did all my stretches, dropped my intervals to 3:1 and completed in 45:56 - not bad in my opinion.  After the race, I was so confident.  I was ready to go for another run.  I was ready to move on to the next adventure.  Then I tried to run last night...

Last night did not go well at all.  I got to Shelley Lake prepared to do 3:1 for just over 5K.  I was excited to see what my body could do, then I took the first step...  Needless to say, I realized that the pace and intervals were not going to work.  I ended up walking after about a mile - sadly, my walk wasn't much slower than my "run".

So, I have an appointment with my regular doctor today.  I am going to go try to explain to her where I have been, what I have done, and figure out what she recommends we do from here. 

I have a horrible fear that she is going to tell me to stop running.  I hope not - it is the first form of exercise that I have ever loved.  I want to go for a run, even when it is raining.  I am looking forward to running in the cold, just to test my body.  I know that I can do this, I just have to take the time to get myself fixed.  I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment