Monday, June 27, 2011

Dress for Success

Several months ago, after the "Great Closet Clean-Out", I donated a ton of work clothes to an organization called Dress for Success.  I first learned about the organization from a coworker, Gayle.  While she didn't give me a lot of information, it sounded like the perfect place to donate my too big suits, jackets, slacks, and miscellaneous blouses,  In late March, the News & Observer ran a piece in Midtown Raleigh News about the local Dress for Success affiliate.  After reading the article, I decided that I wanted to volunteer as an image coach.  I quickly emailed and asked to be added to the email list for future volunteer opportunities, etc. 

Since then, it seemed like I had a conflict every time there was an opportunity - until last week...  I received an email from the Raleigh boutique manager asking if I wanted to volunteer one Saturday per month.  I committed to volunteering from 10:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the 4th Saturday of each month.  This past Saturday was my first day and it was nothing short of awesome.

I got to the boutique around 9:30 a.m. so that I could get a quick "orientation".  I was paired with another volunteer for a little while so that I could "shadow" her.  Unfortunately, the boutique was quite busy and a little short-handed - I was quickly on my own to help several women.  While each of the clients were different, they were all very much the same when it came to finding an appropriate interview suit.  They were so appreciative.  They all left with big smiles on their faces.  It warmed me to the core.

If you have a Dress for Success affiliate in your area, I would encourage you to donate any and all gently-used work apparel to them - suits, jackets, slacks, long sleeve blouses, cardigans, shells, business-casual wear (khakis, etc.), and even jewelry.  Maybe you will even become a volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment