Monday, October 11, 2010

Tough week

Last week was a tough week.  I started the week with a sore throat, hacking cough thing going on.  I was determined to keep on going so I made friends with Mucinex-D and vowed to keep my running up. 

I met Vanessa and Sarah at Shelley Lake at 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning.  While in the beginning this seemed like I good idea, I was beginning to wonder by lunch.  However, I have to admit that I was far less sluggish at the end of the day than I normally tend to be.  If it weren't such a pain in the butt for our household morning routine, I would probably run more in the morning.  There's just something about running early in the morning, hearing the birds, and being around nature in its earliest hours that is more therapeutic than running in general. 

Tuesday evening, I went to "Diva Night" at Fleet Feet.  They had several showcases, bra fittings, shoe fittings, etc.  I won free registration for the Thanksgiving Day Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8K.  Earlier in the day, I had been thinking about not doing the Turkey Trot, but since I got free registration, I am definitely doing it.

On Thursday evening, I met some of the NCRC gals at Fleet Feet for their weekly social run.  I have a feeling that I will not be doing that run again.  While I enjoyed seeing the gals, I thought the sidewalks were going to be the death of me.  When I got home on Thursday evening, I was so upset.  I told Jason that I was going to quit running, didn't know why I started running in the first place, etc.  We went through the full range of emotions and thankfully he just listened.  Jason has an amazing ability to be the voice of reason without saying one word.


I had planned to get up and meet some NCRC gals on Saturday morning.  When I woke up earlier than expected, with an even more annoying cough, I decided it would be best if I went running on my own.  I ran the Crabtree Valley Trail/Alleghany Trail.  I did a total of 4 miles in 58:26, at 3/1 run/walk intervals (avg. pace of 14:35/mile).  Since I am still getting over the muscle/tendon strain in my groin area, I am keeping the intervals low.  Eventually, I will get back up into the 6/1 to 8/1 range.

On Sunday afternoon, I went for a short 2 mile run on the Fallon Creek Trail/Middle Crabtree Creek Trail.  I got a little lost on some of the access roads to the trail, but figured it out this morning.  I couldn't find how to get to the other side of the trail from off Anderson Drive.  Luckily, this morning I drove over that way and followed two bikers and found the connector.  I think this will end up becoming one of my favorite places to run. 

I am hoping that this week will be a great week.  I am trying to maintain a positive attitude and outlook on my goal to run a 1/2 marathon in 2011/2012.  I think that most anyone that really knows me would say that I am a very determined individual and once I put my mind to something, nothing is gonna stop me.  I believe this is so true about running too. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Loooove the blog! Don't get too discouraged! Being sick SUCKS. Makes me feel like a slug. I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.

    Hooray for small victories! (aaand AWESOME husbands!)

    ReplyDelete