Tuesday, August 7, 2012

{Change the Tape}

Several years ago, I spent some time with a therapist.  I started going to therapy to work through some "me" issues and issues that stemmed from that.  All I can say is Thank God for Michelle.  I am not going to go to the length of saying that she saved my life, but she did give me a lot of great perspective on things in my life.  One of the lessons she taught me was to "Change the Tape".  Don't let the negative tape run on and on in your mind - just change it out for a different one.  It sounds a little cliche, but the message is so very true.  Sometimes I just need to be reminded of the need to "change the tape" and it's awesome where that reminder will come from...  

Last week, I had the opportunity to travel with my husband to Wilmington.  While he was in class each day, I took some time to go train at CrossFit Wilmington.  Before heading to another CrossFit, I had asked Chennelle about gyms in the Wilmington area - CrossFit Wilmington was one of two that she recommended. I enjoyed my training at CrossFit Wilmington, but I was definitely ready to get back to Raleigh CrossFit!

On Sunday, I went for my first training back in Raleigh.  The WOD looked interesting, hard, but not intolerable.  The WOD was 7 rounds of the following:

  • 7 Hand-stand Push Ups (I did Ring Push Ups)
  • 7 Kettlebell Swings at 26 lbs
  • 7 Burpee Pull Ups
  • 7 Front Squats at 45 lbs
It was going really well, until this happened.  You see that?  That's my right hand and that's a very painful rip in my skin.  I had a feeling I was going to have an issue with one of my hands soon, but I didn't realize it would be like that...  Normally, something like this would make me stop.  I would just quit the workout and/or give up on that particular activity.

After looking at my hand for a minute, I realized I still had 2 rounds to go.  I dumped the Burpee Pull Ups and did regular burpees for the remaining two rounds.  

After CrossFit, I posted the picture to the right on my Facebook/Twitter/Instagram with this caption:  "1st hand-tear at #crossfit.  Does this make me look like a bad-ass?"

One of the first responses I got was a definite "Change the Tape" response.  Chennelle (Coach at Raleigh CrossFit) responded on Facebook with "You are not a badass for ripped hands, but the work you did to earn them."

That was what I needed to change my mindset.  It's amazing what will spark that change.  So, from here on out, I am gonna remember that...  "You are not a badass for [whatever reason], but the work you did to earn them."  I am going to revel in every single accomplishment of every single workout, instead of letting my "tape" turn to the negative.

Wanna know what about being a bad-ass?  Look at this post from Raleigh CrossFit.  We could all learn from Chennelle :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment