Thursday, March 10, 2011

101 Ways to Deal with Stress and our dinner tonight

My therapist emailed me a great list today.  It is called "101 Ways to Deal with Stress".  I am going to make a concious effort to try at least one means of reducing stress each day as a way to curb my anxiety.  Hope this list helps you too!

Get up 18 minutes early • Prepare for the morning the night before • Avoid tight fitting clothes • Avoid relying on chemical aids • Set appointments ahead • Don’t rely on your memory... write it down • Practice preventative maintenance • Make duplicate keys • Say no more often • Set priorities in your life • Avoid negative people • Use time wisely • Simplify meal times • Always make copies of important papers • Anticipate your needs • Repair anything that doesn’t work properly • Ask for help with the jobs you dislike • Break large tasks into bite size portions • Look at challenges differently • Unclutter your life • Smile • Be prepared for rain • Tickle a baby • Pet a friendly dog/cat • Don’t know all the answers • Look for the silver lining • Say something nice to someone • Teach a kid to fly a kite • Walk in the rain • Schedule play time into every day • Take a bubble bath • Be aware of the decisions you make • Believe in yourself • Stop saying negative things to yourself • Visualize yourself winning • Develop your sense of humor • Stop thinking tomorrow will be a better day • Have goals for yourself • Dance a jig • Say hello to a stranger • Ask a friend for a hug • Look up at the stars • Practice breathing slowly • Learn to whistle a tune • Read a poem • Listen to a symphony • Watch a ballet • Read a story curled up in bed • Do a brand new thing • Stop a bad habit • Buy yourself a flower • Take stock of your achievements • Find support from others • Ask someone to be your “vent-partner” • Do it today • Work at being cheerful and optimistic • Put safety first • Do everything in moderation • Pay attention to your appearance • Strive for excellence NOT perfection • Stretch your limits a little each day • Look at a work of art • Hum a jingle • Maintain your weight • Plant a tree • Feed the birds • Practice grace under pressure • Stand up and stretch • Always have a “Plan B” • Learn a new doodle • Memorize a joke • Be responsible for your feelings • Learn to meet your own needs • Become a better listener • Know your limitations and let others know them too • Tell someone to have a good day in Pig Latin • Throw a paper airplane • Exercise every day • Learn the words to a new song • Get to work early • Clean out one closet • Play patty cake with a toddler • Go to a picnic • Take a different route to work • Leave work early (with permission) • Put air freshener in your car • Watch a movie and eat popcorn • Write a note to a far away friend • Go to a ball game and scream • Cook a meal and eat it by candlelight • Recognize the importance of unconditional love • Remember that stress is an attitude • Keep a journal • Practice a monster smile • Remember you always have options • Have a support network of people, place and things • Quit trying to “fix” other people • Get enough sleep • Talk less and listen more • Freely praise other people • P.S. Relax, take each day at a time... you have the rest of your life to live.

I have highlighted 15 items in pink.  I am going to work very hard to follow through with these.  I think having certain items to focus on will make the journey that much easier...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tonight, we had Broiled Salmon with Rosemary and Quinoa and Black Beans.  The hubs normally doesn't like salmon because it is too "fishy".  He actually seemed to enjoy our dinner tonight - whereas, I didn't eat all my salmon. 

I was a little frustrated when I left work today.  I felt like I really needed to run, but the weather was crap-tacular - it was sideways raining, blowing a gale, and just crappy.  Sarah and I had agreed to just go to our respective gyms.  As much as I was looking forward to working out, I was annoyed that I couldn't run outside.  In an effort to make the gym visit less torturous seeming, I challenged myself - 60 minutes on the Arc Trainer (strength profile, level 6), followed by 20 minutes on the bike (random hill profile, level 8).  I was certain that I was never gonna survive the Arc Trainer after the first 15 minutes.  I "opened"  my new book (Women Who Run) on my iPad and trudged on.  In celebration of accomplishing my gym goal, I enjoyed a nice Bad Penny beer with my dinner.  I don't think Big Boss had in mind to pair this beer with salmon, but it worked for me!


Isn't she (the Bad Penny) lovely?


4 comments:

  1. Great list ... I've been trying to develop my sense of humor - but no one seems to be joining me on that journey! Oh well, gotta laugh at yourself, right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that list.

    Your plates are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a GREAT list!! Love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I told you how much I love your blog? :) Thanks for sharing this list; I hope to refer back to it frequently!
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete