Sunday, March 6, 2011

KD Shamrock 'N' Run and Run Green 8K


Sarah and I before the race
in our FleetFeet gear

KD Shamrock 'N' Run 5K - On Saturday, February 26, Sarah and I did the KD Shamrock 'N' Run.  I got lucky when I found out about the race.  We didn't have a February race and we were having difficulty finding one, when I found out about this race from a family that I met when I first moved to Raleigh.  The family has two daughters in the Kappa Delta sorority at UNC Chapel Hill.  We got to Chapel Hill around 8:20 a.m. for the 9 a.m. start.  I don't think that Sarah and I were really prepared for how cold it was and how long we would have to wait for the start.  The course was so hilly.  We knew it would be, but weren't quite prepared for it.  The KD girls were all on the course and served as great cheerleaders.  Their cheers must have helped because we finished in 37:50/12:12 pace - a 5K race PR!  I think I will definitely add this to my list of races that I have enjoyed and would definitely do again!


Sarah and I before the Run Green 8K - in our sport kilts!

Run Green 8K - Yesterday, Sarah and I did the Run Green 8K in downtown Raleigh.  This was Sarah's first 8K and my second.  No matter what, both of us would set an 8K PR :-)  The course left from downtown Raleigh, near Tir Na Nog, and went around the Oakwood Cemetary and the Oakwood neighborhood.  I am kinda glad that I didn't run or drive the course ahead of time, because I may not have done the race - it was extremely hilly.  By the time you got done with one hill and got your breath back, another one came.  We finished in 1:04:25/12:57 pace - an 8K PR.  The day concluded with a free Natty Greene's Old Towne Brown Ale, a few more beers and dinner with friends.  Nothing better!

2 comments: