Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend recap

First things first!  Happy Daylight Savings Time!  I know there are some people that love to grumble about DST, but I am not one of those.  DST means a few things - it will not be pitch-black when I wake up in the morning; there will soon be a time when I can get a run in before work without being scared to death on the greenway; I can get a long run in after work if I can't get it done on the weekend.  Who would have ever thought that two of my three reasons to like daylight savings time would revolve around running...

Friday:
The hubs and I went to Natty Greene's for lunch with Erin.  He took vacation for the afternoon so that he could watch basketball (crazy Carolina fan).  I knew that I would never be able to get him to leave the pub in the middle of the game, so I left hubs at Natty Greene's and went grocery shopping.  I couldn't bear the thought of hearing him yell at Carolina for 2 hours in public.

Later on the in the afternoon, Sarah and I went for a walk at the NC Museum of Art.  I didn't even realize the trails existed.  Not only do you have trails that connect with the other Capital Area Greenway trails, there is beautiful art along some parts and some unpaved trails.  I think I have found a new favorite Sunday walking spot.  

On Friday evening, the hubs was pretty pre-occupied with basketball.  We relaxed at home and had a great new recipe (Asian Grilled Chicken) for dinner.  While he stayed up until some ungodly hour watching basketball, I spent the rest of the evening watching mindless TV before drifting off to sleep (earlier than I would care to admit).

Saturday:
Our Saturday morning run was the first official long run of the half marathon training program.  My running buddies and I met at 8:30 for a 6-miler.  Sarah and I have been talking a lot recently about how we are so focused on pace.  In an effort to be less obsessed focused on pace, I decided that I would  no longer wear my Garmin.  I will check our routes online to find the turn-around point before we go and leave the timing up to Sarah.  I have to say that running without my Garmin beeping after each mile to tell us our pace was very liberating.  We needed to slow our pace down in order to continue toward the distance we wanted to accomplish and this seemed to work just right.  We finished our 6 miles in 1 hour and 20 minutes (~13:20 mile).  I think Sarah and I did a pretty decent job of planning out the half training.  We'll do 6.5 miles next Saturday, 7 miles the next, then we're off to the Cooper River Bridge Run the first weekend in April.   

On Saturday afternoon, Sarah, Sarah's Dad, Alisha, and I went to see Spring Awakening at Memorial Auditorium.  I have heard a lot about this musical/production, but didn't realize it was even in town until Sarah told me.  She was able to get us some pretty darn good seats for a good price.  When we got into the auditorium, Sarah told her Dad to charm the female usher on the lower level to see if we could get better seats.  Thanks to him, we were able to sit very close in some seats that probably would have cost us $70 each otherwise.  We're going to have to recruit him to go on more adventures!

Sunday:
Today has been pretty easy-going.  I spent the early part of my day sitting in the recliner under a blanket, piping hot cup of coffee in hand, while watching CBS Sunday Morning.  I swear there is no better way to spend Sunday morning. 

The rest of the day was filled with going to the gym in an effort to avoid being a home listening to the hubs scream at the TV burn off some calories.  I did 60 minutes on the Arc Trainer and 20 minutes on the bike.  Felt so great!  The rest of the afternoon/evening has been spent doing things around the house and preparing to go back to work tomorrow.  

Here's to a great week! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I like to run without my Garmin sometimes, too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend. I could have done without the daylight savings time. :)

    Hey - a while ago you asked how I came to be named Reagan. Well, I am a child of the late '70s. My mom was all set to name me Erin, but in the days leading up to my birth, she happened to watch The Exorcist and fell in love with the name. Can you believe it!? Named after a horror movie...ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete