Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First Couple Days of Crossfit

Anyone that knows me, knows that I like to do my research before I try anything new.  It's borderline obsessive, I know.  However, I just like to get the gist of what's up. 

I first heard about
Crossfit from Jade, a friend of Sarah's, when we were on our way to the Cooper River Bridge Run in April 2011.  Over the course of the weekend, Jade talked about Crossfit several different times and I was a little intrigued.  After we got back, I put the notion in the back of my mind.  Since then, every once in a while, the thought of Crossfit would cross my little mind.  Then, of course, I would push it back to the back of my mind for a little while longer.

Two weeks ago, I made up my mind about reconstructive/cosmetic surgery to remove the significant amount of excess skin in my abdomen, etc.  After scheduling the surgery, I kept thinking that I knew I wanted to be in the best possible physical shape before the surgery.  Everything I have read has said this makes the recovery a lot easier and the results even more awesome.  So, Crossfit entered my mind again...

Last Thursday night, I asked about people's opinions of Crossfit on Twitter (@rbr506) and on Facebook.  I got all kinds of responses - from "Crossfit scares me..." to "you can totally do it!".  I looked online at the websites for two local boxes and decided that the one closest to my office would probably be the best for me. 

On Friday morning, I called the "box" closest to my office.  Not long after leaving a message, Bobby (one of the coaches) called me back.  We talked for a few minutes about my history, he answered questions and then suggested that I come in and try a class out the next day.  That's when it became quite real.  Later that day, I went to my chiropractor.  While I was there, I mentioned it to her.  She was so very encouraging.  A lot of the coaches and members of that box are her patients - she even works out there too!  So, that was it - I was gonna do it! 

Saturday morning, I woke up around 7:30 a.m.  I grabbed a NuGo Free bar and some water, then settled in to watch a little TV.  I was starting to get nervous - surprise, surprise.  As I got dressed, I got more and more nervous for no real apparant reason.  For about 10 seconds, I thought about not going.  Then, I realized...I wanted to do this.  Might be a little crazy, but I wanted to do this.  It was just like running - I just needed to start!

When I got to the box, I met Bobby.  Funny enough, I had talked to him at Dr. Molly's the week before.  Little did I know...  After meeting Bobby and Chad, I felt a lot better.  Bobby let me know that the workout of the day (WOD) was in teams.  He paired me with another relatively new Crossfiter, Shelley.  She was extremely-welcoming and helpful to this newbie! 

Saturday's WOD was pretty cool.  In our teams, we did a 10-minute AMRAP of the following:
  • 100 double-unders or 300 singles - we chose singles
  • 25 deadlifts (75 pounds!)
  • Once the team finished that we proceeded to do as many more of each as possible within the 10 minutes.
After finishing that, we did continued the workout with 50 push presses and 50 front squats as a 2-person team.  Shelley was such a great "coach" for this.  I had no clue what I was doing as far as positioning.  Between Bobby, Chad, Shelley and everyone else, I finally got in the swing of things.

Not only did I complete the full workout with the group, I felt very accomplished because:
  1. I didn't puke
  2. I didn't pass out
  3. I didn't quit early
  4. I did 225 singles on a jump rope.  I haven't used a jump rope since elementary school and rarely ever did more than 20 or so.
At the end of the workout, I was convinced that this was going to be a cool new experience.  I told Bobby that I wanted to sign up for Foundations.  My first day of Foundations was yesterday.  It felt great to get a little bit of personalized instruction on the elements of Crossfit.  I have my second class today and cannot wait!

My new mantra

No comments:

Post a Comment