The Green Monster is pretty simple. It's a smoothie that has a base of spinach or kale. They are supposed to be so wonderful for you - increase energy, decrease oils and fats, cravings change from sweets to fruits/veggies, etc.
Last week I bit the bullet and bought a blender and set out to figure out what all the hub-bub was about. I scoured the Internet for recipes, etc. I found tons of variations and made my first Green Monster on Saturday morning. The first one was pretty darn good, but I did learn that I need a little bit of liquid to make it blend well, etc. I have made three more since Saturday and I think I have finally found my favorite combination:
- 1 (6 oz.) container of fat free vanilla yogurt
- 2-3 good handfuls of fresh spinach
- a handful of shredded carrots or other veggies (if I have them)
- 2 tablespoons of finely ground flax seed
- 1-2 cups of frozen fruit (this week, I have used a combination of strawberry, mango and peach)
- a splash of water (probably less than 1/4 cup)
Any suggestions on other combinations?