Thursday, July 28, 2011

A little disappointed to be (wife of) a Tarheel

Butch Davis has been fired as head coach of the UNC Tarheels.  The only way you could have missed this news is if you have been under a rock for the last 18 hours.  I generally hate am not a big sports fan, but I have enjoyed Butch Davis' tenure at Carolina (Shhh...  Don't tell my husband. He will think he has converted me to a sports fan).  I am pissed upset furious annoyed disappointed.  What can be worse than that?  I suspect that I am not the only one.

Over the weekend, Butch Davis and others from UNC were at Pinehurst preparing for the beginning of the football season.  He was interviewed about his position and seemed to feel that the football program and University were moving on.  It is my understanding that the administration was behind Butch over the weekend, but what changed in two or three days?  Really?  What has changed since the NCAA sent the list of allegations a month ago?  NOTHING.  

I am not going to say that Chancellor Thorpe and AD Baddour shouldn't have made the decision to end Butch's tenure at Carolina, but they sure as hell heck could have picked a better time to do it.  Seriously.  Since last year, they have said they support Butch.  They both announced last November that Butch would be back.  Now, all of a sudden, there has been an epiphany and Butch had to go.  Training camp starts in a week; the first game is Labor Day weekend.  The timing could not be any worse. 

Here's my list of questions:

  • Why continue to say that you are behind a head coach, but as soon as a new Board of Trustees is installed your tune changes?  (The Board of Trustees changed as of July 1.  Yesterday was their first meeting.  New members...  New chairman...)  I suspect that Davis was a scapegoat in this one. 
  • If "...our academic integrity is paramount, and we must work diligently to protect it...", what are you going to do about the individuals that may have a part in this from the Academic Center and/or the general faculty?
  • Can we, as Tarheels, really believe that this has nothing to do with the possibility that the University hopes this will help with sanctions in light of the NCAA investigation?
  • This is nothing but pure punishment to the players that are supposed to start preseason next week.  As much as I want to be supportive of Carolina football, if I were one of the new recruits I would probably beg for someone else to take me.  It is almost like you are telling them you don't care.  You tell them that Butch Davis is going to be their coach, they are excited, they work their asses butts off and then you fire him.  Is that fair?  No.  These kids players have probably dreamed about playing college football since they were little boys in their grandmama's backyard.  I hope they can gain some of their enthusiasm back and do well this year. 
  • What are you going to do with all the empty seats in the Blue Zone?  The Blue Zone was built on the heels of Butch's success.  We as Heels fans were excited.  Now, don't be surprised if you lose some season or regular season ticket sales. 
Even though Butch Davis is no longer Carolina's our coach, I still support him.  I believed it when he said that he did nothing wrong/didn't know about certain things and I will continue to believe him.  

My little message to Butch Davis:
You have been an awesome part of the Carolina tradition and family, even though there were some bumps in the road.  You handled losses and victories with class.  Your enthusiasm and support of the University was obvious in your actions.  I wish you all the best.     

1 comment: