Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Weekend in Asheville

The hubs and I spent this past weekend in Asheville with his parents/my in-laws.  In short, it was a great trip and I can't wait to go back!  Here's how the weekend shaped up:


Friday:  We left Raleigh around lunch.  The hubs and I tend to leave Raleigh heading west just before lunch, so we can stop at The Cutting Board in Burlington for lunch.  We arrived in Asheville around 5 p.m.  A little while later we met up with his parents for dinner at Rezaz.  I have heard many great things about this restaurant and my experience was beyond awesome.  I enjoyed the Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque for an appetizer and the Seared Sea Scallops for my entree.  The scallops were served with white bean mash, broccolini, pepperonatta, and lemoncello sauce.  The scallops were flavorful, but the white bean mash was the best.  It is a different texture, but the flavor was so good!  


Saturday:  We met up with my in-laws around 10:30 a.m.  We headed to downtown Asheville to do a little exploring and to get some local beer.  We wandered in and out of several shops, including the Mast General Store.  A stop at the Mast store is a requirement for any visit to Asheville.  I had to get my candy fix - so many "old favorites" that I can't resist!  While exploring we ran across some interesting things...  
 
 Interesting car seen downtown....  Do you see the skull on the front?  So strange...

These Buncombe County Rescue Squad members were participating in the Our Voice "Walk a Mile in Her SHoes" event.  There were men of all shapes and sizes walking the streets that morning in heels.  

We had a nice lunch at Barley's Taproom.  We knew when we headed to Asheville that one requirement would be local beer.  Barley's didn't disappoint.  I had the Green Man Porter and the BBQ Chicken Sub for lunch.  Another meal that didn't disappoint!  

We also spent part of the afternoon touring the Blue Ridge Parkway.  My father-in-law grew up in a small town in Caldwell County, near the mountains.  He also worked in a small-ish mountain community as a City Manager.  So, he loves taking rides on the Parkway.  The weather was perfect for a ride with the top down on my mother-in-law's car.  By the time we got to Craggy Mountain, it started getting chilly and we made the guys take us home!


Sunday:  Sunday we didn't do too much....After being lazy the bulk of the morning, we finally decided it was time to get moving.  We decided to grab some brunch/lunch at the Early Girl Eatery before the hubs and I hit the road.   I am fairly certain that I had the least healthy items on the menu for lunch - oh well, you only live once!  I had the pan-fried chicken with herb cream gravy, collards, and squash casserole.  Another, meal that didn't disappoint!  After dropping the in-law's off, we hit the road back to Raleigh!  

The weekend was an awesome whirlwind!  Can't wait to go back!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment