Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kay's Cancer Kickers and the 5K that wasn't

Today was the Free to Breathe 5K, benefiting the North Carolina Lung Cancer Partnership.  When I found out about this race, I decided I had to do it.  I had a wonderful coworker pass away from lung cancer in March 2010.  I was on a team with her husband, son, friends, and coworkers.  Our team, Kay's Cancer Kickers, was able to raise over $3000 for lung cancer research.  

  Kay's Cancer Kickers
Front, left to right:  Andrew (Kay's son), Dottie, Jason, and me
Back, left to right:  Mark, Kevin (Kay's husband), Bob, Karen, Audrey, and John

So, you might be wondering why the post title is "The 5K that wasn't".  Well, that is because that is exactly what the race was - a 5K that wasn't a 5K.  A friend and I were running the route, trying to make the best of being absolutely frozen and dealing with the "spitting" rain.  We get to Oval Drive and I tell her that something isn't right and we're supposed to go to the right and loop around.  Unfortunately, no one is doing this and there was a police officer sending everyone to the left, toward Centennial Parkway.  In the back of my mind, I kept telling myself that something wasn't right.  I previewed the race course on Wednesday and knew that they wouldn't have changed it in the span of 3 days.

The suspicion that something wasn't right with the route was evident again when we got to the mile 2 marker and it had only taken us about 10 minutes to run a mile.  While I would love to say that I ran a mile in 10 minutes, it isn't possible at this stage in my running career.   We just kept on trucking along, chatting, and enjoying the race.  When we got close to the finish, I could see the clock and knew there was no way that I could finish a 5K/3.1 miles in ~36 minutes.  But, I was going to revel in the fact that I did it - I had completed my second race.

A few minutes after we finished, another friend came over and said that the course was routed incorrectly at Oval Drive.  It made me feel better to know that I wasn't going completely nuts.  I mean, seriously, I had just previewed the route on Wednesday.  I knew they hadn't changed it.  Given that, I think the 5K was about 2.6 to 2.8 miles (Two of us were wearing our Garmins and had conflicting information).  I am hoping to receive an email from NC Lung Cancer Partnership with the exact distance in the next few days.

So that folks is the story of the 5K that wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment