Friday, November 26, 2010

Ridgewood Turkey Trot

On Thanksgiving Day, I did something I have never done before.  I participated in and completed the Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8K.  Heck, now that I think about it, I wouldn't have even considered exercising on previous Thanksgivings, much less participate in an event. 

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot is a race up Ridge Road, through some relatively hilly neighborhoods, and back to Ridgewood shopping center.  When I completed my 1st 5K, I set my eyes on completing an 8K by the end of 2010.  The Turkey Trot ended up being the race that I chose. 

I got up around 6 a.m., walked some in the halls of our condo building, and got ready to go.  I met 2 of the NCRC gals to share a ride to Meredith College.  When we got to Ridgewood, I realized that I was quite slower than most of the folks from the NCRC group.  Luckily, I found Jean!  Jean was one of the first members of the NCRC women's beginner running program and she still volunteers to mentor us newbie runners.  Jean, her friend Norma, and I ran at a 3:30/1:00 intervals.  I finished in 1:11:11, according to the text I got after the race from Precision Race. 

I am proud of myself.  I have now marked "Run a 8K" off my fitness bucket list.  Now off to the next race!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome :) It's always a great thing to be able to "check another thing off" the list...

    ReplyDelete