Friday, July 6, 2012

Getting Past Uncomfortable

I spent part of my lunch skimming some Raleigh CrossFit blog posts I hadn't read.  I came across one called "It Was a Bit Uncomfortable". 


"...So back to my point of getting comfortable with uncomfortable.  We all take on things that are uncomfortable until they become comfortable.  Picking up a barbell for the first time, going for a 1 rep max in a snatch or trying to string together handstand push-ups, all of which are uncomfortable until they are not.  Don’t be afraid to look right, then look left a million times and don’t be afraid to go for a 1 rep max.  At some point that 1 rep max will become your old 1 rep max.  There will be something else to get comfortable with..."


Chennelle hit the nail on the head for sure.  


I went to my first CrossFit session on Saturday, June 16.  To say I was "uncomfortable" is an understatement.  I was scared shitless.  I actually sat in my car for about 10 minutes before I forced myself to get out.  I met Bobby, etc.  I also saw a set of my GOTR parents - The Lasaters.  I struggled through the first workout (but I did it!) and I knew that this was for me.  I took Foundations the following Monday and Tuesday.


Since June 16, I have been to 13 WODs (22 days since the first day).  This includes a four days off to recoup from my first "injury", a few work meetings/personal events that caused me to miss, etc. 


I am no longer uncomfortable.  In fact, I love it.  Yes, I do check the WOD on the blog daily - but that's just to make sure I know how to perform all the lifts, etc.  I have a few goals in my mind, but know they're gonna take work:

  • Master double-unders
  • Handstand and/or Handstand Push-up
  • Toes to Bar
  • And a few others
Can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment