Saturday, August 6, 2011

Week in review

This week has been a busy one, but wonderful.  The hubs had to present at a conference in Wilmington and I had to attend a conference in Wrightsville for work.  What does that mean for us?  Nearly a full week at the beach that we don't have to pay for :-)

Tuesday:  The hubs and I left Raleigh mid/late morning to head toward the beach.  We made a stop in Clinton for the hubs to get a haircut and have lunch at Kaleel's.  Not sure if anyone even knows where Clinton is, but if you ever pass through you must eat at Kaleel's.  After lunch, we made the rest of the trip to Wilmington.  After checking in to the hotel, we made our way to Johnny Mercer's pier for a while.  It was absolutely delightful.  I was right where I belonged - salt air all around and a beer in my hand.  Life was good.  For dinner we headed to a "new to us" restaurant in Wilmington - The Fish House Grill.  You must try the grouper nuggets - so good!

Wednesday:  On Wednesday morning, I dropped the hubs off at his conference.  I headed to Wrightsville Beach to try out "the loop".  I got in a nice 2.5 mile run - the only negative was the ridiculous humidity.  After my run, I headed to the Blockade Runner to sit on the beach for a while.  I was, yet again, right where I belonged...  The salt air just makes my heart happy.  I spent several glorious hours on the beach.  Later that afternoon, I picked up the hubs at his conference.  We spent several hours just hanging out, then went to The Eat Spot.  Another delicious dinner!! 

Thursday:  I dropped the hubs off at his conference and headed on another run.  After my run, I went back to the hotel, got cleaned up, and checked out.  I picked up the hubs around noon and we went to Sweet and Savory for lunch.  Whenever we travel to the Wilmington area, Sweet and Savory is a must.  That afternoon we headed to the Blockade Runner, our hotel for the rest of our trip.  After settling in and attending a the reception for my conference, we met up with the hubs' boss and colleagues at Hieronymous Seafood.  We were able to enjoy catching up with his colleagues and have a yummy seafood dinner.  I had the mahi mahi with lemon-caper sauce.  I love chicken piccata, so I just might have to try making it with fish to change things up. 

Friday:  I spent Friday morning doing activities associated with my conference.  After the morning sessions were over, the hubs and I went to lunch (again) at Sweet and Savory - yummy again!  We spent the afternoon at the pool.  The weather was perfect - partly cloudy and relatively cool.  For dinner we went to 22 North.  I have to say that the food at 22 North is close to "life changing".  They have a chalkboard-style menu - they definitely market their freshness and variety.  I think the best thing we had last night was the Red Beans and Rice appetizer.  It came with these little jalapeno hushpuppies - a nice little kick when you bite into them, but not so spicy that it bothers your stomach.  We are already trying to decide when we are going to come back to Wrightsville Beach, so we can eat at 22 North again. 

Saturday:  Today is the last day of my conference.  After the morning sessions are over, I think we'll be heading out to the pool again.  Tonight we have the closing banquet for the conference and we'll head home tomorrow morning.

If you can't tell, the recurring theme for this week has been - conferences, food, salt air, and food.  I am hoping that I haven't gained this week, but if I did I will just move right on.  The little bit of relaxing time at the beach with my hubs has been good for my soul.  I feel rejuvenated and ready for the next challenge. 

1 comment: