Monday, January 14, 2013

{GOTR - STAR Coach}

Girls on a Run is a program that holds a very special place in my heart. I first learned about GOTR of the Triangle in December 2010 when I ran the Reindeer Romp 5K with Sarah. After the race, I thought about contacting GOTR about volunteering/coaching but kept telling myself I didn't fit the "image" they were seeking in a coach.

Girls on the Run - Spring 2012
In January 2012, the opportunity to coach presented itself. A friend posted on her Facebook that her site needed at least one more coach, and the rest is history... The first season with the girls was wonderful. We had a great bunch of girls and they seemed to really gel by the end of the season.

I coached at the same site this fall.  Again, we were lucky enough to have an awesome group of girls. I can't think of any better gift that being able to instill important lessons and have fun at the same time! YAY!

This fall, GOTR of the Triangle started something new with the assistance of a grant...  STAR Coaches (Support, Train, Appreciate, Retain)!  The gist of it is that STAR Coaches are there to provide peer support to the site coaches. STAR Coaches focus on building relationships with coaches in hopes that GOTR of the Triangle can have more coach retention and even better experiences for all involved.

After the fall season, an email went out recruiting additional STAR Coaches for the fall season. I was honored to be selected as a STAR Coach. While I will definitely miss being at my normal site with my group of girls, being a STAR Coach will allow me the opportunity to encourage others to be a part of GOTR and get to know fabulous young girls at several sites.

Spring season countdown - 14 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment