Sunday, January 13, 2013

{Weekly Menu and Recipe Review - Southwestern Turkey and Vegetable Soup}

I am looking forward to this week's menu.  Lots of new yummies!


We didn't end up having the Shrimp Étouffée on Friday night, so it got moved to this week.  On Friday evening, we're having some friends over for Game Night.  I am going to try to find some form of Paleo Crock Pot Chili today.  Looking forward to seeing how they all turn out!

Last week, we had a new soup recipe. I know that many folks think there's no real need for a "recipe" for soup, but I think a guide of some form is extremely helpful. I realized that I had about 2 pounds of leftover cooked chicken breast in the freezer and that was all it took for me to decide that some form of turkey soup would be on the menu for the week.  

I found a recipe on Fast Paleo and adapted it as we threw stuff in the crock pot (see below).  This recipe turned out very well.  Unfortunately, as it normally is with soup, there was nothing terribly exciting about it. It was yummy, but not exceptional. We'll definitely keep it in our soup repertoire!

Southwestern Turkey and Vegetable Soup: (adapted from Fast Paleo; serves 8-10)
  • 2 lbs. cooked turkey breast (shredded)
  • 4 cups chicken broth or stock
  • 2-3 zucchini, chopped
  • 2-3 squash, chopped
  • 4-5 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 4-5 carrots, chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped (I used green and red)
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup prepared salsa
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 2 tsp. garam masala (original recipe called for coriander, but I didn't have any)
  • a couple shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
Combine all items in large crock pot.  Cook for 8-10 hours on low.


No comments:

Post a Comment