Tuesday, January 15, 2013

{Recipe Review - Paleo Shrimp Étouffée}

There's no better place to find a good recipe than someone else's review of a recipe on their blog. Last week, I was searching for a dinner recipe involving shrimp and came across The Preppy Paleo. Earlier in the fall, she had created a Paleo Shrimp Étouffée.  It looked good to me and it went on the weekly menu plan for Sunday evening.

I must be honest though...I saw the picture of the recipe and thought it looked good.  Instead of reading her full post, I skipped right to the ingredients. Kinda big mistake... In her post she specifically says "...This is definitely a dish that will clear your sinuses..."  Unfortunately, I didn't read that part of her post until I was trying to figure out what the heck I had done to make it have so much kick!

Our final preparation of this wasn't quite Paleo as I served it over quinoa. Jason is very good about eating whatever I fix, but one of his (very few) requests is that we have quinoa every once in a while with dinner. Since it was suggested to serve it over cauliflower rice, I thought quinoa was a good substitute.

Jason's review: "...It was really good...  The onions add a nice flavor.  It was a little spicy, but it was really good..." (Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth asking him what he thinks about a meal. Surely he can describe meals as better than "really good".)

Paleo Shrimp Étouffée (adapted from The Preppy Paleo, via Bon Appetit)

  • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (I definitely didn't use all of it)
  • 2 large onions, minced
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic (Dang it! I forgot the garlic!)
  • 2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tbsp. almond flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning (I'll probably reduce this next time)
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
  • 1 lb. shrimp, chopped
  • chopped scallions
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. 

Add thyme, and flour, then cook for about 1 minute more. Stir in broth and remaining seasonings. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit. Stir in shrimp and return to a simmer. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat. Serve over quinoa and top with scallions.


No comments:

Post a Comment