Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Water - how much is really enough?

Yesterday, I subscribed to follow Erin's blog.  I was reading several of her previous posts and I was struck by her post about drinking water.  


Her post was especially interesting for me since one of my goals for 2012 is to only drink water and black coffee on a regular basis.  I have gotten caught up in diet soft drinks, flavored water mix-ins, etc. and feel like I need a little simplicity when it comes to hydration.  After setting my goal, I have decided to tweak it a bit though.  I will occasionally have a water mix-in (Crystal Light) or Gatorade (summer long runs, etc.), but water will be the main source of my hydration.


I also thought the formula she posted regarding water intake was interesting:
Half your weight (in ounces) + 3 cups per 30 minutes of exercise (1 cup before, 1 during, 1 after)


If I follow this rule of thought, I need to consume approximately 138 ounces of water per day.  

  • Half my weight:  180 pounds/2 = 90 ounces
  • One hour of exercise:  2*(3 cups) = 2*(24 ounces) = 48 ounces
  • 90 ounces + 48 ounces = 138 ounces!
I know for fact that I am not consuming anywhere near that amount on a daily basis.  I have decided to start tracking this better.  I have 2 24-ounce Tervis' at work that I will now use to drink water at work.  My goal is to consume at least 4 cups each day - 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.  That should put me well on the way to getting enough water each day!

3 comments:

  1. Guess what?! Fitbit has a water tracking feature! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found you through FMM and thought I'd say hi! I just recently quit diet soda for good, and since then my water consumption has skyrocketed. When I was drinking diet soda (namely, Diet Coke), some days that would be ALL I would drink (no water at all, so bad). So I finally made the break and now it's water all the time. I do jazz it up with lemon or the occasional Crystal Light, but only drinking water has made such a difference in my skin and the way I feel, and my wallet (you don't realize how pricey it is until you quit it). Good luck, you will totally notice a difference quickly when with the increased water consumption!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty convuluted formula for determining water needs. I don't think it needs to be that complicated. I do think that most people don't get enough water and I think making a goal to drink more (while also making a goal to drink less of other beverages is awesome!) Maybe just start small, and make your goals concrete. For example, for the first week tell yourself you want to drink 1 whole water bottle of just water a day and only drink water with dinner. Then make it two bottles, etc until you reach a point that feels natural and comfortable to you. No need going too crazy with it or forcing it on yourself.


    There are specific guidelines about how much you need to drink before, during and after exercise. But you know all that. ;)

    ReplyDelete