Sunday, December 19, 2010

A 10K already?

Wow... That's all I can really say about that.  Sarah and I did a 10K yesterday.  In case you don't know it, a 10K is 6.2 miles.  I am still amazed on a daily basis about how far we have come since July 24.  If it wasn't actually happening to me and I didn't feel it in my muscles, I would say it was dang close to being unbelievable/impossible. 

Sarah and I met at Oak Park around 9 a.m. yesterday.  On Friday evening, we decided we would do 5 miles and maybe a little more if we were feeling froggy.  Around the time that we started smelling the McDonald's on Blue Ridge Road (you can smell the distinct scent of Chicken McNuggets at 9:15 a.m. - yuck!), we saw Jean (one of our NCRC mentors) on the trail.  We didn't even make it under the Glenwood Avenue bridge before we decided that we were going to forge forward and do 6 miles.  We completed our first ever 10K in 81 minutes (13:10 pace per mile).  We were once again consistent in our inconsistency - with miles 4 (13:31 minutes) and 5 (13:54 minutes) being our slowest. 

I wasn't terribly cold when we were running, but it took a while to get warmed up once I got home.  I think I took the longest, most hot shower I have ever taken.  While Jason and I were out running errands, we went to Village Deli to get a bite to eat.  The yummy, warm chili warmed me up the last little bit.  During our run yesterday, Sarah and I both realized that going more than 5 miles was going to require a little bit of hydration at some point.  Jason and I ended up going to Fleet Feet yesterday to look around.  Thanks for my wonderful hubs, I got a Nathan 4-bottle hydration belt and a Mizuno Breath Thermo hat.  They definitely won't be the most stylist things ever, but they will surely work well.

I feel great about all the things I have accomplished thus far.  Between running, meeting with my personal trainer once per week, talking with a counselor, and recommitting to Weight Watchers, I finally feel like I am on track to continue my transformation toward a more healthy me!

2 comments: