Thursday, December 23, 2010

I've been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about instant gratification.  I have realized that I am, unfortunately, of the generation that feels that almost everything should be instant.  I shouldn't have to wait, it should be right before my eyes when I want/need it.  I didn't realize this was my thought process until I started having to work really hard to develop a healthy lifestyle.  In the past, I have always gotten the things I wanted/needed without a long wait.   

This is not so with weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  It is hard work.  No one is going to congratulate you for eating a piece of fruit instead of a handful of Oreos.  It is my responsibility to provide myself with the level of gratification I need for doing the things I should have been doing all along. 

I am going to try very hard to remember these quotes when I think that I deserve something right now or I get tired of waiting:
 
The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results. - James Dean

A lot of people get impatient with the pace of change. - James Levine

Enjoy the journey. - Jason (aka, my hubs)


3 comments:

  1. Very true sentiments! It is so hard to choose the fruit over the Oreos though. A daily struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quotes. Instant gratification is tough to battle. They say running isn't an instant gratification thing, but sometimes I feel like it is. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I am going to file those quotes away in the 'mental rolodex' for the next time I'm on the brink of giving in to temptation!

    ReplyDelete