Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reindeer Romp 5K

Sarah and I participated in the Reindeer Romp 5K yesterday.  The race benefited Girls on the Run of the Triangle.  This race also was the culmination of the 12-week program the girls participated in.  The goal of the program is to build the girls up through running and building self-esteem/self-confidence. 

Last night, while I was driving to our annual Meredith College girls Christmas party, I realized how much the race really meant.  I thought about how I felt at the beginning of the 10-week beginner women's running program offered through the NC Roadrunners Club.  The more I thought about it, I realized that what those young girls were experiencing at their young ages, I had felt as a 29/30 year old.  The girls were encouraged by their mentors and fellow program participants, just like I was.  Thank goodness for awesome, encouraging people.  Just think about the benefits to those young girls!  Plus, they were just too darn cute for words!

I was certain that I was going to freeze to death during the run.  It only took about a quarter mile to shed my gloves.  By the half mile point, I was shedding my jacket.  Then, by the end of the race, I was cursing myself in my head for not wearing short sleeves!  I guess those experienced runners that told me to dress for 20 degrees warmer were right.  By surviving the cold yesterday, it made me realize that getting outside and running in the winter isn't so bad - the bulk of the battle is mental.  Sarah and I learned one additional lesson yesterday - do not waste energy running the entire time when you can do intervals and do just as well! 

In honor of the run little Reindeer Romp yesterday, I am wearing my race t-shirt today.  It is so fun to be able to don the shirts that I receive at races because every shirt reminds me of my accomplishments and the continuation of the journey. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your reindeer race and on your weight loss this week! I could totally relate to your Fear of Failure post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was a cute run and very rewarding!! :0) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete