Thursday, December 2, 2010

Consistent in our Inconsistency

Sarah and I ran tonight.  We met up at the Ale House to run one of our preferred greenway trails.  We didn't go into the evening with a specific mileage ahead and agreed early on that we would just see where things went.  We ended up going 4 miles.   

While we were running, we got on the topic of our pace.  Tonight, as an example, I felt was an up/down pace night.  Mile 1 was 12:35, mile 2 was 13:12, mile 3 was 13:50, and mile 4 was 13:10.  I always wonder if this is the best way to run (different paces for each mile).  Sarah said something very positive about our pace inconsistency - At least we are consistent in our inconsistency
For some reason her statement really struck me and made me curious.  I checked our previous runs in my Garmin Connect and discovered that we really aren't that inconsistent.  We are always slow on the mile after the 1/2 way point of our runs.  Most of the time this tends to be around mile 3 on our 4 and 5 mile runs. 

In other really positive news on our running...  We have shaved almost a minute and a half off our average pace since October 23.  Our October 23 5-miler was at an average pace of 14:36.  The 4-miler tonight was at an average pace of 13:01.  Not too shabby for some girls that could barely run 1:1 intervals for 20 minutes at the end of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment