Monday, December 13, 2010

"Suck it up, buttercup"

I am not really sure where I heard the expression "Suck it up, buttercup", but I use it for motivation every time I start to try to get out of something.  In my life, I have always given up when things got hard or I was bored with something.  Not now kids...
  • When I didn't really want to run in the cold today?  Suck it up, buttercup.
  • When I didn't feel like packing my lunch for tomorrow?  Suck it up, buttercup.
  • When I would love to have a regular Coke, instead of water?  Suck it up, buttercup.
  • When I don't want to empty the dishwasher...
  • When I don't want to pay bills...
  • Many more examples could be listed here...
Why do I say this to myself?  Because, life is hard and isn't always puppies and rainbows.  If I wanted easy, I could eat what I wanted, never work out, etc.  But, after those destructive behaviors, I would be more overweight than I am now and I would eat less healthy than I do now.  It is best for me to just tell myself to "Suck it up, buttercup" - you'll be happier and better off in the end.

This afternoon was definitely a perfect example of a "Suck it up, buttercup" day.  It was extremely cold and windy.  Sarah and I met at the Ale House at 4 p.m.  Our objective was to just run.  We set out on our run and decided to turn around after a mile and a half.  We were able to complete a 5K in 32 degree/25 degree windchill temps.  We finished our 5K in 41:01/12:59 pace (our best pace yet!!).  After we finished our run, we both said that the biggest issue with running in the cold is the mental block.  We busted through that obstacle and will continue through more. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's cold!! Great job on the run!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too - It's an expression that a fellow running blogger passed on to me during a particularly unmotivating time for me and now I pull it out a lot too!

    Nice run, nice pace and way to go on "sucking it up buttercup!"

    ReplyDelete