Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My most hated and most loved piece of fitness equipment

See this beauty?  Have you ever been on one?  (Source)

In my mind, anyone can get on the treadmill or elliptical and go for 30-45 minutes.  Almost anyone can do a spin class, especially if they are prepared to deal with the after affects. 

This thing (also known as a step mill - or a torture device if you are me) was a different story.  When I saw it the first time, I was beyond intimidated.  I saw these hard-body gym rat times sweat it out on here for 30+ minutes every day.  I don't necessarily want to join them in the gym rat role, but I was going to join the ranks of people that could survive the step mill.  I was bound and determined to conquer this machine.

Every time I went to the gym, I would get on the treadmill or elliptical for 30-40 minutes.  After I was done that that part of my workout, I would get on the step mill.  In the beginning, I could only do 2 or 3 minutes before feeling like I was going to absolutely die!  This is no exaggeration.  I would add 1 or 2 minutes to my time every week.  Slowly the torture device was turning into one of my favorite piece of equipment.  It seemed like there were very few people that used it and this meant a little peace and quiet with the dance music on my iPod.  When my running program started, I was up to about 7 minutes.  I didn't go to the gym as much once I started my running program, so out went the workouts on the stepmill, at least for a while.    

So, last Tuesday, I decided to get back on it and see just how far I could go.  I was only able to go 10 minutes, but I was elated.  On Sunday, I was able to go 12 minutes.  Last night, I was able to stay on it 15 minutes.  I was energized by my accomplishment over the week.  I am going to conquer the step mill and will love every minute of it.  Amazingly enough, I have to say that this is now one of my favorite pieces of cardio equipment.

What's your favorite piece of cardio equipment?    

1 comment:

  1. Those things are SO my enemy.

    Also, I tagged you in my blog. So, you're it!

    ReplyDelete