Sunday, November 4, 2012

{Beer Review - Glutenator}

Before being diagnosed with Celiacs disease, I was a lover of beer.  When I use the term beer, I am not talking about your run of the mill Budweiser, Miller Lite, Amstel, or Yuengling.  I am talking real beer.

Since my diagnosis, I have been leery to try many gluten free beers.  This is due simply to the fact that my first gluten free beer was Red Bridge, from Anheuser-Busch.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good.

Just so you can get an idea, some of my favorites before Celiac were:

  • Rogue Mocha Porter
  • Southern Tier Mokah (American Imperial/Double Stout)
  • Lagunitas Cappacino Stout
  • Epic Big Bad Baptist (American Imperial/Double Stout)
  • Flying Dog Gonzo (Imperial/Double Porter)
  • And the list goes on and on...
Do you see the theme going on there?  They are all very dark, "thick" beers and most were considered to be high ABV (alcohol by volume).  Well, the minute I got my diagnosis, I knew that (normal) beer was out.  Since then, I have been drinking ciders and wine, but have just been wanting a good beer.

After dinner with friends on Saturday evening, the hubs and I went by Tasty Beverage.  We visited the store for the first time a month or so ago, and I was impressed by their gluten free beer and cider selection - definitely lots of choices.  I had heard on Twitter from @bruisinales that Epic Brewing had a great gluten free "dark" beer called "Glutenator (Doppelbock)".  So, that's what I was seeking....and I found didn't find it.

While writing this review, I realized that I was supposed to be looking for the "Glutenator Doppelbock", not the "regular" Glutenator.  So....  My review was already slightly biased because I was expecting a dark beer.  

The Glutenator is good, but not my favorite beer ever.  I honestly have to say that I don't think any gluten free beer will ever live up to my expectations because of my preference for darker beers.  However, this one was good.  I can imagine sitting out on the deck on a nice summer day and drinking this beer.  It's light and has a nice sweet flavor.   

Now, if I can only convince Epic Brewing to bring back the Glutenator Doppelbock.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment