Sunday, November 11, 2012

{Operation Fix Me - Pre-Op Discussion}

My surgeon's office does a pre-op phone consultation about 2-3 weeks before the surgery.  During this time, Valerie (one of his nurses), goes over all the do's and don'ts.  She packs a ton of information in a half hour, but it also gives you time to think about questions you may have that you can ask the day before surgery.  

Pre-Op List:

  • THINGS TO DO NOW:
    • Stop taking aspirin/motrin/Aleve.  
    • Stop taking Fish Oil supplement (all others are ok).
    • Stop/reduce consumption of alcohol 5 days before surgery (Whew! At least I can still drink on Thanksgiving!)
    • Pick up prescriptions - pain killer, muscle relaxer, anti-nausea, antibiotic.  While at the pharmacy, she recommended that I get a laxative (TMI, right?).
  • HOME:
    • Make arrangements to have help at home.
      • I'll be at the hospital 1 night.  
      • My parents will be in town from the day of surgery through the weekend.  They won't stay the night at the house, but J will be at home.
      • Jason will stay home with me on Monday and Tuesday.
      • Friends have offered to come hang out during the day when J goes back to work, etc.
    • Freeze at least 1 full week of meals, including protein-packed snacks, etc. (I will do some of this before surgery, but my mom will do some of it while she's here too.)
    • Prepare "recovery space"
      • I'll mostly be hanging out in the living room.  We have a nice "medical"/lift recliner and that will be my bed for at least one week.  
      • I'm planning to download a couple books on my iPad, DVR some shoes, etc.
      • Put iPhone charger near recliner, etc.
      • Move things around so they are easy to reach.  I will get out our "spare" microwave and put it on the kitchen counter so Jason can reach it.  The regular is one that is above the stove and he can't reach it.
  • DAY OF SURGERY:
    • Take shower with anti-bacterial shower gel
    • Brush teeth, but do not drink anything
    • Wear comfy clothes to the hospital, preferably a shirt that buttons down the front.
    • No make-up or jewelry to the hospital.
    • No colored fingernail polish
    • Arrive at the hospital by 5:15 a.m. (dang that's early!) for 7:15 a.m. surgery.
That's a pretty long list and I am sure there's something else I am missing....

I will go see Dr. Lambeth on Tuesday, November 27 for my pre-op pictures and markings.  I have seen lots of blogs where women have posted their pre-op and post-op pictures... Don't expect that on here.  I am honestly just not ready to do that - I am not that "open".  Yes, I've talked about the surgery here, but posting half nekkid pictures here just isn't my thing.  You'll just have to take my word on it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment