Friday, November 2, 2012

{NaBloPoMo - Day 2}

Friday, November 2, 2012 -- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

100% without reservation - a small, coastal community like the one where I grew up....  I grew up in Beaufort, North Carolina (In case you are confused, it is pronounced bo-furt, not like our southern neighbor).  While I didn't love my entire childhood in the sleepy coastal community, I have come to appreciate it.  

There's something about a small town that is "right" in my mind.  Don't get me wrong, I love living in Raleigh, but sometimes the "city life" just gets me down.  I think part of it has to do with the crazy busy schedules that seem to be the "in" thing in the city.  Growing up, I had a childhood filled with activities, but I wasn't over-programmed.  The adults all had a good time hanging out, etc. but there was not getting a baby-sitter every weekend so they could try out the newest restaurant or bar in town.  I think that sometimes we all need to get back to the simple way of living.  Being in a relatively small community kinda forces that on a person.    

Interesting facts about Beaufort, NC:
  • My hometown is steeped in history as the 3rd oldest town in North Carolina (following Bath and New Bern).  
  • Blackbeard had a home in Beaufort (more info).  His ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, was located just outside of Beaufort Inlet in 1996.
  • Beaufort was once home to one of Beaufort Fisheries.  In 2005, the last menhaden plant in North Carolina closed.  Yes, it was terribly stinky, but I will always remember my Nanny saying it was the "smell of money..."
  • The Old Burying Ground on Ann Street is the resting place of many historical figures in eastern NC's history.  One grave site belongs to a young girl buried in a rum barrel after she died at sea (story from News & Observer).

No comments:

Post a Comment