Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive...

I haven't had the best day today.  Overall, the day was OK, until I went to my Weight Watchers meeting.  When I strolled into the meeting, I was feeling great.  When I stepped off the scale, I felt terrible.  Why?  Because I was up .8 pounds since last week.  I can't say exactly why this bothered me so badly, but it did. 

I am beginning to think that we are all too preoccupied with the number on the scale or the number of calories our HRM says we have burned.  Why is this so important?  I have no clue, except that some time in the past we were told success was based upon this.  Well, I am here to tell you that ain't so...  Yes, I gained this week.  Yes, I gained last week.  But, that is OK.  It isn't always about the pounds.  It is about how you feel physically, how you feel emotionally, how your clothes fit, etc. 


I am not going to let a week of gain keep me from doing anything.  I am going to keep moving forward simply because it feels good.  I am going to look back at what I have done to see if there is anything I can change.  If there are behaviors that I can modify, I will - otherwise, I will let it go and move on.

Most people have no clue that I have a soft spot in my heart for "The Rat Pack" era music - I love Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Bing Crosby, etc.  The lyrics of one of Bing Crosby's songs seems to ring very true for me right now...


You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium
Liable to walk upon the scene

Here's to accentuating the positive and keepin' on keepin' on....

What helps you when you are discouraged?  I tend to be reminded of quotes and/or songs that make me happy.  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your positive attitude! My wife is a scale watcher too and I always try to get her to throw the dumb thing away ... in the grand scheme, what does it really matter. PS, I love Frank too - The Way You Look Tonight, and Summer Wind my fav's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect attitude - stay positive and focused and the results will follow.

    ReplyDelete