Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Monsters... and movin' on


Today was one of those days.  Actually, yesterday was kinda one of those day too.  For some reason, I felt like I was being chased by some kind of nasty monster.  I figured out last this morning "who" the monster was - it was the monster of self-doubt and self-defeat.

I didn't have the best weigh in today at Weight Watchers.  Last Wednesday morning, I was caught off guard (in a wonderful way) by a 3.6 pound loss.  This morning, I had a 1.6 pound gain.  As soon as I left the WW center, I began to tell myself that it was time to quit, that I can't do this, and it is just silly to keep trying.

Not long after sending an email to my running buddy, Sarah, I received some great encouragement from her.  A few minutes later, I got some cheers from my college roommate.  The rest of the afternoon at work, I was approached by coworkers with whom I normally don't speak and received compliments on how I look, my "glow", etc.  I got an email from my Mama telling me to "...not give up so easy...(you) are doing good..."  It was great.  All of the encouragement helped me survive the day - I didn't eat anything random out of the snack machine, drink a Coke, skip the gym, or head home to eat half a package of Oreos.

The encouragement got me to the point where I could talk to my number one encourager, my husband.  Jason called me when he was about to leave work.  I told him about my disappointing meeting and how I felt like I was wasting my time.  He immediately said "... We are not going to quit...  You're gonna keep making yummy recipes..."  That was what I needed.  I needed to hear that from him at that very moment.   

I am not going to quit Weight Watchers.  I am not going to quit working out with my trainer once a week.  I am not going to quit running.  I have too much invested in me.  It will take time.  This won't be the last time I am discouraged, but I am movin' on.

3 comments:

  1. Your husband and all of your pals are right.

    As long as we never quit, we can never fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you!!! I know how tough that is. Just remember this to tell me when I'm feeling down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been 'off' too the past couple of day - discouragement rearing its ugly head. You aren't alone, we're all in it together! Go forward!

    ReplyDelete